IFIC : Inservice-Field interation, Innovation and Co-ordination CMDE : Curriculum Materials Development and Evaluation ET : Educational Technology
Pre-service Teacher Education (PSTE)
- To serve as the nodal branch for the following:
- Organizing pre-service course for elementary school teachers and to provide academic inputs into such course is the subjects represented in the
- Propagation of learner centered education and education for personality development through training, extension, preparation of suitable teaching aids, action researches
- All general matters concerning teaching methodology and specific matters concerning teaching methodology of the school NFE subjects
represented in the Branch.
- Provision of Psychological Counseling and guidance services to schools and NFE/AE centers of the district.
- All matters relating to learning by children of Disadvantaged
- Education of children with major handicaps and other mild handicaps.
- Education of the
- To conduct such in service programmes whose content relates exclusively or predominately to the subjects represented in the branch, or to its other area of nodal responsibility listed at (ii) – (vii) under
- To provide inputs into programmes/activities of all other branches of the Institute, to the extent of subjects/areas represented/handled in the Branch.
- Maintenance of science Lab, Psychology equipment, Resource Room for Education of Disabled children, Rooms for Art education, and equipments and facilities for sports and Physical
- Promotion of and support to co-curricular activities in areas related t the substantive work of branch, e.g. debates and elocution, literature, Science Fairs, Visual and Performing Arts, Sports and Physical Education competitions, Yoga, Hobbies
Work Experience (WE):
- To identify locally relevant WE areas and incorporation with concerned nodal branches, to develop sample curricular units, teaching learning material, low cost teaching aids and evaluation tools/techniques
in such areas.
- To help educational authorities and elementary schools/NFE/AE centers in planned introduction of Work Experience activities in such schools/centres.
- As backup to (2) above, to conduct appropriate in-service programmes for teachers in the areas of
- To provide WE-related inputs into all other programmes and activities of the
- To organize activities for cleanliness, upkeep and development of the Institute campus and its surroundings and for basic maintenance of institute furniture and other
- To organize community service activities and study visits to work centers as part of training programmes, and to promote such activities on extra curricular
- To maintain Workshop/Farm/Garden for WE
- To promote work related hobbies among trainees of the
District Resource Unit (DRU):
- To assist educational authorities in planning and coordination of training programmes for AE/NFE personal throughout the district and to provide necessary support to such programmes organized outside the DIET.
- To evaluate and monitor the quality and efficiency of training programmes for NFE/AE personnel held in and outside the DIET and to strive for their continuous
- To undertake field interaction work vis-à-vis the AE?NFE projects and centres in the district and to act as the referral unit or academic problems thrown up by the field in the areas of AE/NFE.
- To undertake action research in all areas relevant for making NFE/AE more effective-in collaboration with other branches, to the extent necessary.
- To provide AE/NFE related inputs into all programmes of the institute, especially pre-service and in-service education programmes for teachers.
In-service programmes, Field Interaction and Innovation Co- ordination (IFIC)
- To assist educational authorities in planning and coordination of in- service education programmes for elementary teachers throughout the district, and to plan and coordinate such programmes held in the DIET, Pursuant to this, the Branch would….
- identify training needs of elementary teachers in the district, and prepare a perspective plan for meeting such needs,
- Prepare an annual calendar of all programmes to be held outside the DIET, and
- Help concerned authorities in preparing an annual calendar of in- service programmes to be held outside the
- To evaluate and monitor the quality and efficiency of in-service programmes held in and outside the DIET, and to strive for their continuous
- To maintain data base of all persons, except NFE/AE personnel, who undergo training at the institute and to organize follow-up activities
pursuant to such training, through correspondence, visits, transmission of printed materials.
- To serve as a reference and resource centres for teachers who wish to continue their
Curriculum, Material Development and Evaluation (CMDE):
- To adopt existing items & develop new items of the following kinds so that elementary education and elementary teacher education programmes.
- Teaching learning for general as well as locally developed curricular units- especially primers for classes I and II in tribal languages in districts having substantial tribal
- Techniques and guild lines for continuous and summative learner- evaluation.
- Tests, question/item banks, rating scales, observation schedules, guidelines for diagnostic testing/remedial programmes talent identification procedures
- To help DRU in development work as above for Adult and non- formal Education.
- To undertake testing on sample basis to assess achievement levels among learners, especially with reference to Min levels prescribed for the primary and upper stage and for adult learners under
- To help educational authorities and elementary school/NFE/AE centres in implementing a reliable and valid system of learner evaluation.
- To conduct workshops for the adaptation/development work
mentioned in (1) above, as also in-service programmes relating to CMDE.
Educational Technology (ET):
- To develop in collaboration with concerned staff of the DIET and other resource persons, simple, effective and low-cost teaching aids for various subjects/areas relevant to elementary education and elementary teacher education –charts, diagrams, models, photographs, slides, audio tapes, play scripts, songs
- To help the DRU in developing low cost teaching aids as above, for adult and non-formal Education.
- To maintain the following:
- All A.V. equipments of the Institute
- Computer Lab
- A display area for good, low cost teaching aids developed in house as well as elsewhere and,
- A library of educational video/audio cassettes and, if the Institute has a film projector of
- To lend slides, cassettes and films to institutions having playing/projection facilities, and to borrow them from others Resource Centres.
- To liase with nearby Radio station for arranging educational broadcasts suitable for elementary school children, AE/NFE learners, teachers/instructors of the
- To conduct appropriate in-service programmes for teachers in the area
of ET, with special emphasis on:
- Effective utilization of educational broadcasts, telecasts, cassettes and aids, and
- Development of simple, low cost teaching aids.
Planning & Management (P & M):
- To maintain an appropriate database for the district this may be required for various planning exercises aimed at the UPE/UEE/NLM goals and for monitoring progress towards these
- To provide technical assistance to educational authorities in (i) school mapping (ii) Micro planning for UPE/AUEE in an area specific and target group specific manner, (iii) formation and activation of school complexes, schools etc, and (v)Institutional
- To serve as the nodal branch in relation to all programmes of community involvement in basic education, and in particular, to conduct orientation programmes for members of DBE, VECs, community leaders, youth and other voluntary educational
- To act as the nodal branch for preparing quin-quennial and annual institutional plans and annual self evaluation reports for the DIET, and for liaising with
- To provide P & M related inputs into all other programmes / activities of the institute e.g. pre-service and in-service programmes for teachers, training programmes for NFE/AE personnel, Field Interaction activities, Action Research etc
District English Cell
Introduction: Gujarat Council of Educational Research & Training (GCERT) works intensively in the area of qualitative improvement in primary education. In respect of improving the quality of English language teaching at secondary and primary sections, GCERT takes initiative steps with the help of H. M. Patel Institute of English Training & Research, V.V. Nagar to establish ELT centers in Gujarat.
The Ministry of Human Resource and Development Provides financial assistance through the CIEFL, Hyderabad to run the DCE to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide saturation level training to all the teachers of English of the district especially those in rural and backward areas through short orientation courses supported by long-term courses in the distance
- To offer need based specific purpose training to teachers on a sustained
- To identify and develop leadership potential among high school teachers of English and develop a cadre of specialists in material production, teacher training and testing and
- To provide opportunities to teachers to grow and develop professionally by promoting collaborative learning and teacher development
Library at DCE: DCE, Gandhinagar has a very rich resource in its library. We have total 52 books in number. Some of them are provided by CIEFL, Hyderabad and others are purchased by DCE. They are mainly based on Grammar, Reading, Writing, Vocabulary development and so on. We purchased Oxford dictionary with thesaurus, Ultimate visual dictionary and Britannica learning library (encyclopedia).We also have audiocassettes regarding grammar topics, study skills, speaking exercises etc. We have 400 reading cards provided by CIEFL. They are
very useful to check the reading comprehension of the learners. We make use of this cards level wise and encourage our teachers to make use of such cards in their classrooms.A book kit of “A Passage to
English” prepared by RIE, SI, Banglore is also provided by CIEFL with travel-cards, which are very useful for the teachers.
Programmes at DCE:
- 10 Days Orientation Programme
- Need based course
- Correspondence cum Contact Course
- English Teachers’ Club
Science and Mathematics Unit :
Various activities related to science-technology & Mathematics are undertaken by Science-Technology and Mathematics Unit of DIET with a view to making Science & Mathematics learning intensive and qualitative in school of Gandhinagar district.
- Teachers and learners
- Understand – natural phenomena
— cause and Effect relationship
— Surrounding Environment
— Importance of Science-Technology in work-a-day
- Inquisitiveness, curiosity, reasoning and decision – making
- Collect and analyses information
- develop problem solving
- Verify results after
- Appreciate new discoveries and its
Distinguishing activities to popularize Science and Technology among children.
- Planning and Organising
- Science-Maths Exhibitions
- National Science Seminar
- Science Park
- Science-Maths Clubs
- Teachers’ training on science & Maths
- Capacity Building at cluster level
[A} Science – Maths Exhibition :
NCERT, New Delhi has been organizing National Science-Maths fair/Exhibition since 1971. From 198 and onwards, it is known as ‘Jawaharlal Nehru Science-Maths Fair/Exhibition for Children.
Specific Objectives of Science – Maths Exhibition :
- To Popularize Science Technology & Maths among Children
- To develop scientific temper in Children
- To encourage child Scientist.
- To enable children to understand the role of Science and Technology in development of human
- To popularize Science
- To acquaint the community with the role of science in social and
economic develop of the country
- To develop interest towards Science subject in children and to develop Scientific outlook in them
- To familiarise children with the responsibility of emerging Scientist toward the community /
- To enable children to think regarding the appropriate use of the Science and Technology for sustainable
- To enable children of remote villages to think and to recreate though organising Science-Maths Exhibition at, Cluster Resource Centre (CRC) and Shala Vikash Sankul (SVS) levels.
Diet Library is fully computerized with SOUL ( Software for University Library) software. All Library function is also computerized like Books issue etc….
Reference books Journals/periodicals Newspapers
C.D.based Educational Softwares Video cassettes
FUNCTIONS OF BRANCHES:
- Training and orientation of following target groups:
- Elementary school teachers (both pre-service and in-service).
- Head Masters, Heads of School Complexes and officers of Educational Department up to block
- Elementary school teachers (both pre-service and in-service).
- Instructors and supervisors of Non formal and Adult Education (induction level and continuing education)
- Members of DBE and Village Education Committees (VEC’s), community leaders, youth and other volunteers who wish to work as educational
- Resource persons who will conduct suitable programmes for the target groups mentioned in (a) and (c) above, at centers other than DIET.
- Academic and resource support to the elementary and adult education systems in the district in other ways e.g. by …
- Extension activities and interaction with the field,
- Provision of services of a resource and learning centre for teachers and instructors,
- Development of locally relevant materials, teaching aids, evaluation tools etc., and
- Serving as an evaluation centre for elementary schools and programmes of NFE/AE.
- Action research and experimentation to deal with specific problems of the district in achieving the objectives in the areas of elementary and adult
- To provide training and guidance for implementation of programmes like activity based and joyful learning and creating willingness to go to
- To undertake research and experimentation, keeping in mind problems of the educational arena and to solve
- To familiarize Headmasters, teachers, C.R.C.s, B.R.C.s co- coordinators and supervisors with new
- To organize seminars and workshops to enhance the abilities for teaching subjects like Mathematics, Science, work Experience, Art teaching and Yoga teaching at the primary school
- To provide guidance for diagnosis and remedies for abilities established by the students through capacity aimed evaluation and also lack of abilities thereof.
- To provide guidance and evaluation techniques to ensure success for activity based
- To visit alternative schools for migrant children and to give guidance
- To visit V.E.C, M.T.A., .T.A. and provide guidance to the same.
- To undertake programmes for non-ritualistic
- To make lecturers visit meetings at C.R.C level & to provide guidance.